Friday, March 6, 2009

Yoga And Meditation: Essential Life Tool?

I am reminded that I just recently enrolled in yoga and meditation, and with which I have no prior experience or exposure to. What is my goal? My main goal is to be able to delimit the effects of today's stress using breathing exercises and control of the mind. Accordingly, it is said that if we are able to master this art then we can tap into a vast source of potential energy which could have positive effects on our lives. I managed to gather some information which I am happy to share to anyone who maybe looking into practicing yoga and meditation. What is yoga? Yoga is derived from the Sanskrit word "yug" which means "unity" or "oneness" and basically refers to the union of the individual consciousness with the universal consciousness. The many benefits of Yoga include:
  • relaxing the mind and body
  • stretching and toning
  • improving the body's flexibility
  • helping breathing disorders
  • improving heart conditions
  • strengthening the spine
  • easing back pain
  • relieving stress or tiredness
. . . and more What is meditation? It is the mastery of controlling the mind. It is the perfect tool for developing positive emotional health and the key to success in life. The way to achieving this is through perfecting the ability to discipline and refine the mind, body and breath using psycho-physiological tools. The many benefits of meditation include:
  • calming the mind
  • giving a sense of purpose
  • balancing the left and right hemispheres of the brain
  • giving perspective and clarity
  • promoting confidence
  • soothing the nervous system
  • improving the memory
  • improving the body's energy levels
This is a very interesting endeavor for me and I am hoping to enjoy the positive effects of this practice in my life. In this chaotic world, it is essential for us to find a way to channel our negative emotions and mental stress so that we may be able to find a peaceful place within ourselves. If yoga and meditation will help, then I'm up for it. How about you?

No comments:

Google